Summer Tips for Healthy Living
- July 11, 2016
The summer time is a great time to kick back and treat your body with some love. We tend to over indulge at the holidays, and then spend the first quarter of the year trying to get on track. But, by now, we are on pace with those goals and ready to enjoy some of the fruits of our goal achievements. Here are 8 tips to make your summer more healthy, fun and relaxed!
1. Stay hydrated. The sun has a great way of increasing your chances of heat exhaustion. You are having a great time and before you know it, hours may have passed, and you haven’t taken a sip of the H20. The summer heat can increase your chances of dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke- especially because you are consistently sweating to cool off the body. Be sure to replenish your body frequently with water (don’t wait until you are “thirsty”)
2. Watch those “On the go foods.” Summer time is, travel time. Sometimes traveling for camps, sports or that ever exciting yearly family vacation. But, with travel comes “on the go” eating. Make sure when you are eating on the go or fast foods that you opt for something light, fresh and healthy. Think salads, fruit and nuts. Plus, 90% of serotonin is made in your gut. Serotonin is the chemical that makes you happy. Eating fresh and healthy allows the serotonin to distribute through your body better, and low and behold, a happier vacation with the family!
3. Avoid too much sun. Sometimes that summer sun and fun can run you a headache. The sun beating down on your head impacts nerves and tissues, and poof a headache comes to spoil your summer fun. Instead, try staying hydrated, eating light and frequently, avoid direct and long durations of sun exposure, and be cautious of exercising at peak heat hours.
4. Exercise. Staying healthy means exercising. Just be cautious not to overdo it in the high peak sun hours. But we know, it’s no secret, exercise is good for your mind, body and soul. Many of us worked hard since January to kick our bottoms into gear to feel sexy and fit for the summer. Keep that body! The best part, the summer offers you so much opportunity to do outdoor activity. This will make exercising more fun and interesting.
5. Wear sunscreen. Sunscreen protects you from the UV rays of the summer sun. Protecting your skin can protect you from 2nd and 3rd degree burns and cancer. Have fun in the summer sun, but be smart about it.
6. Eat berries. Berries are fresh, healthy, and delicious! Berries have antioxidants and fiber which can aid in prevention of some cancers and keeping your cholesterol low. The evening summer air, strawberries and the beach.
7. Wear sunglasses. Sunglasses protect your eyes, and some sunglasses can block 99% of UV rays. Protect your eyes from serious eye damage like cataracts and even wrinkles just by wearing these cute little accessories.
8. Enjoy and Be Present. One of the most important summer tips is to enjoy the family time. If you have an opportunity to be with friends and family, be present. Unplug, set aside work and set aside negativity. Focus on the small things that life brings to us that provide the biggest value. Enjoy the free things, like sun, love and the ocean. Relax.